Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MTC: Week #6

Love going to the Provo Temple

Hey Everybody,
Finally passed half way at the MTC.  Each day passes faster and faster!  It was so sad to hear about Cal Poulsen's passing.  Like Julia said in her email to me, I'm gonna miss seeing him in his window, and all the wonderful times taking the sacrament to him.  I forgot to tell you this a few weeks ago, but I finished "Jesus the Christ".  One of the best books I've ever read so far.  My testimony in Christ was strengthened and still continues to grow stronger. Also, thank you Nana and Papa K for the wonderful goodies you sent me.  We had a killer SIX WEEKS AT THE MTC party!
Anyway, Landon, write me buddy.  I wanna hear some more of your humor.  Julia, I'm glad you had fun in Costa Rica!  Sounds like you and your friends had a blast, even though you didn't get to see Anthony.  Spencer, have fun working at Subway.  Even though you can't get discounts or free subs for me, at least you'll be able to make it exactly how I like it.  Mom, I'm sorry to hear about your ankle.  I know exactly how that feels.  I've been rolling my broken ankle a ton here and finally did it bad enough where it is extremely painful to walk on.  As soon as we both heal up, we'll be in the mode to work hard!  Dad, it is always good to hear from you.  Hope your therapy goes well and that you get your hip strong again. 
So a few things before I tell you about my week.  Dad, you told me to join the choir.  Well, I went to one of the practices, but found out that I will have to usher for the devotional and so I don't know if I'll be able to sing.  But in the coming weeks I will.  Can you also send me Grandpa Smith's address? I will be writing him this week.  Something big might be happening here at the MTC in a few weeks.  If all goes as planned, I will let you know about it :) If not, I'll tell ya anyway haha.
Last Tuesday, Sister Wixom, the General Primary President, came and spoke to us.  It was fun to hear from her, but the thing I loved most was singing the primary songs with all the missionaries.  I miss all the primary songs! They are da best!  Wednesday was my first time hosting the new missionaries.  When you're not hosting, it seems like the funniest thing to do, but when you're actually doing it, it’s not so much. . . sitting out in the heat was the worst!  After I did that, Elder Moore and I ran into a Sister from Mainland China.  We stopped and talked with her for a while...in CHINESE! It's so crazy how in just a few weeks we literally are able to speak with half the world's population.  She helped us a little on how to say things, but overall we did fairly well.  I was feeling all good about my Chinese, and then it hit me that I wasn't really all that . . . We taught a lesson to our teacher (one of our fake investigators) and I honestly knew maybe five words MAX.  I recommitted myself to work my hardest on the language and everything else about missionary work. 
Friday was probably the best day here at the MTC so far.  We had the usual classes and study sessions, but the best part was after all that. Gym was crazy fun!  Had some pretty sick shots at soccer tonight.  Afterwards, we had our Six weeks party.  We had so much candy, and so much soda. Everyone in our zone gathered in our room and we went around and made toasts.  Too bad I didn't film any of it.  It was super hilarious! 
Saturday morning, I started getting shin splints, which was a pain.  I've never had them in my life and they are the worst.  I decided to play soccer with them anyways, which was a bad idea.  The one time I figured I could dribble the ball down, was the last time I would that day.  I pulled a move on this kid and he just rocked my right/broken leg.  He kicked it right on my plate so hard.  I was in so much pain holy cow!  I walked it off and played the rest of the time as goalie.  After gym, we had another lesson with our TRC kid.  I finally found out his name today haha, Zhon.  He is actually from Taiwan and I'm going to miss him because he is going to Cali on vacation, and then we don't teach for a couple weeks.  I got a picture with him so I'll get that home somehow. 
Sunday was so awesome.  Last Sunday I was told that I would be playing the hymns in sacrament meeting.  I figured since I was the organist back home that it would be a piece of cake.  Well, they decided to pick some songs I've never played before.  I practiced all week, but just couldn't seem to get it all down.  I was struggling and messing up every time.  Before the opening song, I said a prayer in my heart for help while I played these songs.  I played the opening song with maybe two errors max.  Sacrament song, I did the same.  Started with a prayer, and to my surprise, I don't even think I messed up.  I said a prayer of thanks after each one, because I knew that I had been helped for each one.  After the sacrament was given, one of the new counselor's wife spoke for a bit.  In her testimony she said, "Angels walk the halls here at the MTC."  That just struck me so hard.  It made me realize that that is true.  Angels are here helping us understand the gospel and learn the languages so that we can help the Lord's children come unto Him.  It even made me think that maybe angels had helped my play the piano today!  After she finished, my Branch President, President Baker, gave a talk.  He started off talking about Father's Day and how much he misses his dad.  He said, "Appreciate the things you have.  You can't appreciate certain things if you don't have them anymore."  That hit me so hard as well.  Dad, I just want you to know that I am grateful for all that you do for me, as well as for the rest of the family.  I appreciate your example to me throughout my life, and for all the hard work you've shown me.  I'm sorry I didn't write you a Father's Day letter, but just know that I love you with all my heart.  I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day!
Well, I miss you all and hope you are all doing well.
Love, Elder Smith

XOXOXOXO