Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas

In front of a worshipping alter

The Orient sells #10 can size of PB & J -- but thanks Mom anyhow!

Human statue poses with us

Temple alter

Next to another temple alter
Hello everyone,
So I don't have a ton of time, but I have a lot to say, so we'll see if I get through it all.  First of all, Grandma and Grandpa thank you for that package you sent a few weeks ago.  I forgot to thank you for that..  Also mom I got your small package of goodies and cd's so thanks.  I still haven't gotten your Christmas package or the package from the young women, so I'll be looking forward to those.  So this week is CHRISTMAS!!!!!  I'm so excited, but it will be super weird to celebrate it without all you...  However, I do get to talk to you all.  Yeah!!!  So probably the easiest way to do it would be through skype.  One of our members told me that I could use his computer for it so I'm pretty stoked for that.  I first have to set up an account, but its super hard here cause it's all in in Chinese so it'll take me a while.  But I'll get it created this week and add mom and Anthony for it.  I'll also test it out this week sometime so be ready for that.  The time I'll be calling/skyping will be next Monday morning at 10:30, for me, which means it'll be around 8:30 Sunday night for you guys.  Hope that is ok and that this all works out!
This week has been full of finding and rescuing.  Our mission president set a goal for every companionship to have a "White Christmas" in the baptismal font.  We have been working our hardest to accomplish this goal, and we found a former investigator who actually had his baptismal interview, but was never baptized.  We've been working with him a lot lately, but he pretty much is determined to be baptized after the elections here in Taiwan.  We do have a few investigators who could drop in for baptism, one in particular is named Klara.  She speaks really good English, and has been taught everything and is living everything.  Her only concern about baptism is that she doesn't know if she can fully endure to the end if she is baptized.  We had a pretty powerful lesson on why the gospel of Jesus Christ is so important.  We asked her to pray about what God would want her to do at this time.  We'll be praying that God will answer he prayers before Saturday so she can be baptized :)
Wow, Christmas is almost here and it has made me think a lot about Christ and his life.  I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have about my Savior and of the joy and sense of peace it gives to me.  I'm grateful for the Savior's Atonement and that through Him, we can continually improve and become like Him.  I'm grateful for this privilege to serve Him to share His gospel to those who need it in their lives.  This is a special time of year and I would encourage all to focus this time on the Savior.  I love you all and can't wait to talk with you all next week!!!  Hope all goes well with that! Elder Smith