Sunday, March 4, 2012

20 year old in Paradise

Hello everyone,
So HengChun finds us today with some clear blue sky, a mild temperature of HOT, along with a good rest to prepare for the day.  Wow, its sounds like the typical lifestyle in paradise.  Well, thats how this past week has felt like, paradise.  I'm so glad I got to see and hear about the baptism of my cousin Kamryn.  Congratulations to you!!!  Well, so lets get on with this paradisical week...
Monday was spent buying things and getting all prepared for the week, and then started off by sitting down with our good ole buddy Zheng dx.  We shared with him about how our physical body has some needs we need to attend to: sleeping, eating, showering, etc. and mentioned that our spirits are the same.  They have some needs that need attending to help them grow and mature such as praying, reading scriptures, attending church, service, etc. He really took it in, and seems to have had a greater desire to be more diligent in doing those things.
Most of Tuesday found us sitting on a bus traveling back and forth to District Training Meeting.  Well, it was the first one that I had to teach, and was probably one of the harder topics to teach about for a full hour and a half.  We learned about how we can find better through english class/contacting.  Was super dry, but a lot was learned as we had fun with it.  We then visited with Zheng dx again, but it was to mainly focus on his friend Jerry.  We taught them a part of the Plan of Salvation, and focused on the Atonement and Christ's role in the plan.
Wednesday was a great day to spend teaching a few of the recent converts in the area, especially Hua dx.  Today we shared with him about how he can receive personal revelation for himself. 
Friday didn't feel different than any other day of the week.  However, it was my birthday, and I tried to celebrate as best as I could.  It began by planning for our investigators in weekly planning and then taking myself out to eat at my favorite restaurant.  Other than that, we spent the day contacting and trying to visit a few recent converts and less-actives.
Saturday we met with another one of our progressing investigators.  He actually is a forest ranger and lives super far into the mountains, so we took a nice lovely bike ride there.  Taught about the importance of the Book of Mormon, and we was quite interested in the actual facts about its history.  I'm hoping that sparked his interest.
Sunday was a special day to me.  In addition to it being fast and testimony meeting, I realized that it was the 12th anniversary of my baptism.  In previous years that never clicked in my mind, but I'm glad it came through.  I began thinking back 12 years ago, but couldn't quite remember much about my baptism besides my super large quilt I received as a gift.  However, I'm so glad I made the decision to be baptized.  Even though I may have not known a whole lot about what I was getting into then and the importance of it, I'm extremely grateful for that decision to follow our Savior Jesus Christ.  I'm so glad that I have the knowledge of God's plan for me, and that if I live according to His teachings, I can live in a state of paradise, better than HengChun, with my loved ones. 
Well, I love you all, miss you all, and I love this work! Love, Elder Smith