Sunday, October 21, 2012

Family . . . isn't it about time!


Hey Everyone!
How is it going for you all?  All is well here in Taiwan for my companion and I.  We're staying healthy, strong, entertained, and we're loving the work.  This past week went by too fast for me, as every week does, but we enjoyed the miracles and precious moments as it went on by. 
This week we were able to visit with an investigator, Brother Wu, who we had sat down with a while ago and were finally able to schedule another appointment.  He is a busy truck driver, always driving back and forth to Taichung and Taipei.  With the time he has to on his own he spends with his family, and more particularly his son.  The last time we visited with him we shared about the Family Proclamation to the World and introduced him to the Plan of Salvation.  He has no real religion, but is searching for something in his life.  He brought something up that somewhat answers what he is looking for in life, and that is the words to the hymn "I am a Child of God."  He is a child of God, and He has sent him here.  He has given us an earthly home where we can enjoy peace and happiness with our families. We testified about families and I absolutely love what the Proclamation to the Family says about how our families built upon the principles of the gospel are more likely to be happy.  We didn't have much time with him but this is what he wants for himself and his family.
As for Jerry, he came to church this week!  This was a huge step for him this week, especially after the few struggles and frustrations with him earlier on in the week.  However, he made that step forward, and the rest will come step by step. 
This past week we were able to visit with quite a few ward members and we taught them the plan of salvation and asked them the "penetrating questions" that President Monson talked about once. And you know what?  Each one has turned out very positively.  In fact, one member brought up his son directly, telling us that he has a son in his 20s who hasn't been baptized. He had failed his interview a while ago and his dad wants him to learn the missionary lessons again so that he can pass his baptismal interview. We went over to their house last night and had FHE with him. We had a great activity about the Plan of Salvation with him and on how this life is a time to be happy, learn, and grow to return back to live with God. God provided a way that our family relationships are able to be united in this life and in the life to come and that is through Christ and His gospel. 
Sitting here thinking about families I was reminded of the little quote, "Family, isn't it about time?"  I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for the chance that I have to develop a wonderful relationship with my family.  The thing I am most grateful for is that death is not the end.  Through Christ and His Atonement we can all enjoy our family relations beyond the grave.  I'm grateful for my two wonderful parents and how they taught me correct principles.  I'm grateful for the knowledge I have that I can live with them for eternity.  I love my time here as a missionary and for the chance I have to help bring my brothers and sisters to the knowledge that families are and can be forever!  I love the gospel, I love my family, and I love you all!  
Love you all,
司馬長老