Monday, April 16, 2012

First Week as a Trainer


Me with my Newbie Companion!
Masalu,
 Well 11 long months have gone be super fast.  Almost too fast.  However, I am enjoying and soaking in every moment I have gotten.  HengChun is a beautiful place, but also an extremely hot place.  Lately the winds have slowed down and the heat is just beating us down.  But I love it!  This week was a wonderful week with my new companion.  Seeing how life was when I first got on the island until right now has helped me see a change that went by almost unnoticable.  I am doing my best to make his transition nice and smooth, giving him some fun, wonderful moments whenever I can.  This week we had a few experiences that neither one of us had gone through before.  
 We did have a few learning experiences this week.  I'll just share one of them with you today.  It began on Thursday afternoon.  A church member that was baptized here in HengChun recently died due to cancer.  Thursday was the day they had assigned to bury his ashes, but since he was a member of the church the family invited us and Brother Wang to participate in the funeral and give a blessing.  It was the first time either of us had participated in dedicating a grave, and we were a little unsure about what to expect. They buried his ashes and then Brother Wang gave the prayer.  It was so powerful to hear the prayer that was given to protect the tomb and ashes until the resurrection.  It hit me hard, even though he was cremated, that he will one day rise at the resurrection with a immortal body.  I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, all men, good and evil, will receive the blessing of resurrection.  Christ broke the bands of death so that we can accomplish the plan that God has given us, to return to live with Him.
 Saturday we took a nice long bike ride up the mountains to proselyte to the Aborigines.  It has been a long long time since missionaries have been there to proselyte, so we decided to change it up a bit.  We ran into a lot of cool people, some without interest, but the people there were willing to stop and talk with us for a bit.  Turns out we will be going back up this saturday to visit with a few of those people.
What an awesome week!  My companion and I learned so much from one another this week.  What to do, and what not to do.  We are loving this time we have together, even thought it just started, and I look forward to the upcoming weeks we have.  I know that we(I) have been called by a prophet of God to gather in His sheep.  It's hard some times, really hard, but it is definately worth it.  I love this gospel and I love my Savior Jesus Christ.  I'm truly grateful that he atoned for all mankind so that we can repent, become clean, and return to live with our Father in Heaven.  I'm grateful for this short time I have to share this knowledge to the people here.  I love you all!
 Love the One and Only,
司馬長老