Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013!

Family and Friends,
Happy New Year!  Yeah, how has it gone so far?  Hopefully it has gone off pretty good.  If not, you've got some time to make it good.  This week was pretty exciting for my companion and I, and I'll get crackin' down on it in just a bit.  But first of all, Mom HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I love you and hope you have a super amazing day!  XOXO :)  Okey dokey, lets get going on with this week.
So, I remember last week I kind of talked about faith, setting goals for the new year, and some other things.  Well, my companion and I focused on faith and how we can have more faith to find those prepared to receive the gospel.  The first few weeks in this area were a bit rough due to the fact that there were no new investigators and no one willing to meet with us.  We had a wonderful DTM about it and then went and worked our hardest, went out finding in faith, and we found an amazing family of 8 kids, so a total of 10.  Wow!  We were able to visit with them on Saturday and give them a tour of our church.  I could feel the stress that these 8 kids, age ranging from 3-14, bring the parents as we gave the tour and tried to teach the family.  In all honesty, my companion and I didn't know how to best handle the situation, but all turned out in the end.  The parents had a great impression of our church and really seem accepting to the message on families.  A few obstacles lay ahead, but working with faith these can easily be jumped over.
After visiting with this family we attended the baptism of Brother Xu and it was exciting to see him get baptized.  What was even more exciting was to see the desire of his 9 year old who wanted to get baptized too.  (He even brought a pair of clothes to change in after he got baptized).  After a little bit more preparation his son will be looking good to be baptized on the 19th of this month and then after a little bit more work we will be able to help us other son prepare for baptism.  It is a small family, but it'll be a complete family in the church.  
There is nothing better for a family than the gospel of Christ.  During the time I have served as a missionary I have been able to see the difference between individuals where the family is raised on gospel principles and those that aren't.  I am so grateful for the help that this gospel has brought to the Taiwanese, as well as my family.  I'm grateful for my two loving parents who took the responsibility to raise me on church standards. I know the principles, standards, values,and teachings of the church have helped me up to this point, and for what lays ahead.  I know that the gospel of Christ bless families for eternity and hope that this family of 10 and this Xu family can begin to experience so.  I know the gospel and this church is true!  I know it!  I love living it!  and I love it!

With Tons of Love,
Elder Nick Smith
司馬長老