Sunday, September 23, 2012

You Can Do It, Jerry!


Caring for the Sick
I love the Tawainese people!
Hello Hello!
How's the family holding up these days? Sounds like you all had a killer week: Homecoming, campaigning, working, and studying for school. Yeah! Love it! Taiwan is holding up alright and things went pretty good this week for us here in XiaoGang. A bit crazy, a few changes, but overall went really well. Here's a quick overview of what went on this week:
We had a wonderful service opportunity this past week to feed the elderly and those who are physically unable to survive on their own.  It was such a great experience and I had some great conversations with some of the people we were able to serve.
Brother Tan, Jerry, is doing super awesome.  We visited with him every single day last week to help keep him away from the temptations to drink.  We just made small little goals with him, to get him throughout the day without drinking.  As a result, he didn't drink one sip at all over the last week.  Such a big change compared to the week before we he started drinking more than usual.  It was such a blessing to see how that through prayer and reading the scriptures, those desires to drink vanished.  In his own words, "I have completely quit drinking!"  I love the scripture that says through, "small and simple things are great things brought to pass."  It is the little things--reading daily, praying often, and going through with commitments--that has helped Brother Tan overcome this addiction.  I know as he continues to do the small and simple things, he will be able to fully quit smoking and chewing betel nut.  
Yes, I am training a new missionary again.  I absolutely loved it a few move calls ago and learned so much from that experience.  My new companion is Elder Lathen, fresh from America (Colorado), and is already super awesome.  This past Saturday we were completely packed full with teach lessons and my companion has such a huge desire to help bring souls unto Christ.  He was able to invite quite a few people to be baptized, they accepted, and one of them even attended stake conference with us yesterday.  I know we will see miracles, big and small, with him as a missionary in Tawain.  I remember around this time last year I was still pretty knew to Taiwan.  I look back and see how time has flown right out the window, but cherish the experiences I've had.  I hope I can help my new companion do the same so that when he looks back a year from now he can cherish these precious moments we have as missionaries.  
Well, I love and cherish each and every day.  Each day is another day for me to grow spiritually, physically, and mentally, as well as to help my fellow brothers and sisters of Taiwan do the same.  There is no better time and place for me to do so then right here and right now.  I love this work.  I love my Savior, Jesus Christ, and for the sacrifice He made for me, allowing this change to become a reality for me.  I love my Heavenly Father and for the love He has shown towards me.  I love the Book of Mormon.  Each time I indulge in the scriptures I learn more about myself, and how I can continue to change myself.  I love our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson.  He is an inspired man, called of God.  I love that this is the true church, and I'm grateful and honored for the privilege I have to be a missionary for the Lord.  I love you all!  Miss you all!  
With all my love,
Elder Nick Smith
司馬長老